Friday, December 2, 2011

Turkey Day and Black Friday: The Aftermath

I know, I know. I'm up during normal hours. But don't fret. The zombie apocalypse hasn't come yet, and I'm not being forced to stay awake and on the move-- lest the undead devour my succulent flesh. Yet.

Instead, I'm awake because Thanksgiving and Black Friday have seriously done a number on my sleep schedule. You see, since I work at Spencer's, I had some odd working hours on Black Friday: 3 a.m. to 8 a.m. Normally this wouldn't have affected me. I'd have just slept in until five p.m. the night before, and I would've been fine. The problem was: I couldn't do that since had Thanksgiving dinner that evening, so I had to be up by at least noon.

                                           via igourmet.com
Plenty of tryptophan  for your late-night drive to work.

I still would've been fine if this was it. I'd have come home and gone to bed at nine in the morning, woken up at three or four, and all would've been well. But no. My friends and I had an all-day video game party planned for Friday. I went straight from work to there and didn't wind up at home until two in the morning. For those of you keeping score, that's 38 hours straight with no sleep, and five of them were work hours.

I don't even remember much of the gaming party. It's one giant blur of animated blood and violence, people shouting the word "noob," and me dying a lot because I was too tired to play. I eventually got my second wind and woke up enough to play an RPG (Eternal Sonata) for a few hours. That game, despite it's cutesy-wutesy appearance, is actually incredible. I highly recommend it to any fan of RPG games.

                                                           via wikipedia
Yes, there's a rainbow on the cover. It's a good game. I promise.

My sleep schedule still hasn't returned to normal. You see, I went to bed on Friday night and had to get up at 6 a.m. for work the next day. And when I got home, I still couldn't go to bed because we had people over at the house for my brother's birthday. Then, my brother insisted that we spend the night at my cousin's house as part of his birthday celebration. We got to playing video games, and I didn't get to go to bed until 6 a.m. 

Let's stop and check the score again. That's 38 hours with no sleep, then 4 hours of sleep, then another 24 with none. That's almost three days with only 4 hours of sleep. To say that I was exhausted was an understatement. My brother went home that night, but my cousin asked me to stay another night. Another whirlwind of pixilated death and destruction later, and my head hit the pillow at nine in the morning.

This brought the grand total to 9 hours of sleep in 4 1/2 days until I could finally get a decent night's rest.

To my surprise, I woke up at ten in the morning the next day and couldn't sleep any more. Even stranger, I got tired around ten or eleven at night, like a normal person. I've gone on like this for a couple days, and I hate it. After eleven, it becomes difficult to concentrate on even the most menial tasks without nodding off.

                                              via HolyTaco.com

I decided to put my new-found, wakeful morning hours to the most productive use imaginable: watching movies. I don't know if I was still groggy or if the morning sun had baked my brain with its devil rays, but Snakes on a Plane actually seemed like a decent movie. Perhaps it was so bad that it was good. 

The greatest line in that movie, as I'm sure many of you know is when the TV version tries to dub over Samuel L. Jackson's "motherfuckings" with other word's that begin with -m and -f. For example, "Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane," becomes:


"I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!"

Seriously, who would ever think that's what he's actually saying? Did they just get lazy from all the dubbing they had to do (Samuel Jackson swears A LOT) and say, "Screw it. Just pick words that start with those letters. That'll work."

But above all, the funniest thing about that movie is seeing Samuel Jackson hold a snake up by it's neck and try to identify it to a biologist over the phone. What an immense amount of snake knowledge he possesses.

                                                                   via howstuffworks.com
It appears to have murder-fending scales on its mostly-fuchsia body.





No comments:

Post a Comment